Monday, September 24, 2018

The logic of an overburdened Head master

Today I was in a village hidden among the hills. Let's call it Imra. The head master of the school thought I was the newly appointed math teacher come to take charge. As head of a school with a large number of students and very few teachers to take classes, it was easy for him to assume that I was here to take care of his children.
Then I told him I was there to create awareness of Menstrual hygiene. He still thought I was from an organization from a similar sounding name.

Related image

HM: So what can I do to help you?

Me: I need to hold 2 hour sessions with adolescent girls from your school.

HM: Ha! See, you need to complete your assignments. But the girls are busy studying. So you can give them a short version of your session for say, 10 minutes. You can document it as two hours.

Me: The thing is, Menstruation is a sensitive topic in these parts and no one talks about it. There are lots of misconceptions and half truths that confuse young people. It will take me half an hour just to introduce the topic.

HM: Menstruation? (He looks at the authorization document I had given him.)
Well... I thought you were from another organization with a similar name.,

Me: So, can I come here once a week for the next four weeks?

HM: You can come once a month. Then our schedule will not be so disrupted.

Me: Let me come once in two weeks. Girls may forget what we discussed if we don't reinforce the ideas once a week.

HM: You can come next week and we'll see what we can do about it.

I am guessing he was hoping I would take his bait and do a charade of a 10 minute session. Well, I didn't and on top of it  punished him with a righteous lecture on the plight of  women who are ignorant of Menstrual Hygiene.

No comments: